The Indian civil aviation ministry has strictly banned the use of Samsung Galaxy smartphone in flights after a Galaxy Note 2 caught fire in an IndiGo aircraft. The incident took place when the flight was landing at the Chennai airport, creating a panic among all 75 passengers. Samsung officials have been informed after the mishap.
The IndiGo flight 6E-054 was coming from Singapore and before landing at the Chennai airport, the Samsung Note 2 smartphone started emitting smoke, said the airlines. DGCA briefed the incident saying that the airlines crew put off the smoke using a fire extinguisher.
DGCA to meet Samsung executives on September 26
People onboard the flight got attentive when they smelled something burning in the cabin. The crew was immediately informed, and they found out the smoke from coming from a burning Samsung Note 2 under a seat. The crew member recovered the phone and placed it in a water container. The civil aviation ministry has called a meeting with Samsung executives on September 26.
Samsung India addressed the issue by releasing an official statement –
We are aware of an incident involving one of our devices. At Samsung, customer safety is our highest priority. We are in touch with relevant authorities to gather more information, and are looking into the matter.
Indian government previously released a statement prohibiting the use of Samsung smartphones in flights. It said, “In the light of recent incidents involving battery issue with Samsung about its Galaxy Note 7 devices globally, traveling public and airlines are advised to ensure not to turn on or charge Samsung Galaxy Note 7 mobile phone on board the aircraft and not to stow them in any checked-in baggage.”
Following the increasing cases of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explosion, Samsung has recalled all the Note 7 units across the globe. It is also sending OTA update for Note 7 devices that will not let the battery charge above 60%. Alongside, the company is replacing the old Note 7 units with a fresh one to avoid any such instances in the future.