Android 7.0 Nougat is here, and CyanogenMod is working hard to give every possible Android smartphone a sweetness of Android 7.0 Nougat. It’s now in the early stages so most of the smartphones are getting a port from the official CyanogenMod 14 build and Xiaomi Redmi 1S is on the list.
You can now install the CM 14 custom ROM on your Xiaomi Redmi 3S. Make sure that this is a custom ROM and will void your smartphone’s warranty. The custom ROM is much stable for a daily driver, but you may be able to find some bugs in this ROM. So, let’s give this ROM a try and give your phone a new look.
- Backup, all of your precious data, e save it where you can find it again after installation.
- Install the latest TWRP custom recovery (above TWRP 3.0), Android 6.0 Marshmallow and above only support the latest TWRP custom recovery.
- Charge your phone for enough battery juice for installation.
Steps to install the CyanogenMod 14 on Redmi 1S
- Download the CyanogenMod 14 zip file and the Google apps package from the links below:
CyanogenMod 14 (The page contains list of ROM builds, just download the latest one from the list)
Google Apps (Navigate to the link and select ARM 64, 7.0 and Pico then click the download button).
- Now, transfer the zip files to your Redmi 3S internal memory or SD card. Move the zip files to the root directory not inside any folder to make it easier to find while in recovery mode.
- Switch off your phone and boot it into recovery mode. You can do that by turning it on by pressing and holding the Power key and Volume up key.
- While in recovery mode just follow the steps written, doing unknown things in recovery more can get your phone really messed up. These Steps are for the TWRP custom recovery only:
1. Tap the Backup button and Swipe to backup the currently installed ROM (stock or custom, doesn’t matter).
2. Tap Wipe and swipe to wipe out your smartphone and get it ready for custom ROM installation.
3. Now, tap the Install button, check the Install Multiple Zip box and select the two zip packages that you downloaded. Again Swipe to install the zip files on your smartphone.
4. After installation, you’ll find a Swipe to reboot slider. Just slide it to the right and restart the phone.
You will see the new boot animation with CyanogenMod logo and soon you will be able to see the welcome screen from where you can take over like setting up a new smartphone. Let us know how you think about this custom ROM, and yes use the comment section for your questions.