OnePlus 3 is the best phone of the year regarding price and hardware. The 6 GB RAM makes it the first smartphone with a RAM of this much capacity. OnePlus 3 runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box and still there is no news about Android 7.0 Nougat update on this phone. So how about trying the latest MIUI 8 custom ROM on your OnePlus 3?
Although that the MIUI 8 ROM is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow, but it comes with more features than the Oxygen OS or the stock Android 6.0 Marshmallow like the clone apps, new clean interface, built-in memory cleaner and more. Let’s try this custom ROM on your phone and tell us if you like it.
- Your OnePlus 3 should be rooted, and the bootloader should be unlocked to flash a custom ROM.
- Install a custom recovery on your OnePlus 3; this installation guide is according to the TWRP custom recovery.
- Backup, all the data from OnePlus 3, to keep it getting wiped while custom ROM installation.
- Before proceeding any further, charge your OnePlus 3 to 85% so you won’t encounter low battery issues while installing the custom ROM.
Steps to install the MIUI 8 on OnePlus 3
- Move the downloaded MIUI 8 custom ROM zip file to your phone’s internal memory. Put the file in the root folder so that you can find it easily during installation.
- Now turn your phone off completely and turn it back on while holding down the power button and volume up button together.
- In recovery mode, tap on Wipe and swipe to wipe the system storage.
- Come back to the main menu and tap Install and select the custom ROM zip file and install it on your device.
- (Skip this step if you don’t want to root your phone) Repeat the above step with the SuperSU zip file. It will root your phone running MIUI 8 custom ROM.
- Tap the Reboot system button after installation; it will reboot your phone to the MIUI 8 custom ROM.
You’ll see a new boot animation of course which is the sign that the custom ROM is installed successfully. You will soon reach the welcome screen which will guide you through the setup process of the custom ROM (you might need an internet connection to setup your phone for the first time).
The new custom ROM is different from what you are using on your phone before. The interface will be new so you need to get used to of the new interface which may take a while but soon you’ll get it. Or if you find any difficulty installing the custom ROM, the comment section is open for all.