Few weeks back Sushma Swaraj announced that Police verification process won’t be needed to get passport now onwards. You can get your passport in a week’s time according to the new fast track process (you could get the passport in a week’s time earlier too but by paying Tatkal). Here we are going to give you a detailed procedure to get a passport.
Firstly, there are some terms which you need to know about:
- Central Passport Organisation (CPO) and Ministry of external affairs provide you passport.
- Passport Seva Kendras (PSK).
- 36 or 60 pages? Firstly, 36 pages cost Rs. 1,000 while 60 pages cost Rs. 1,500. These pages are basically the blank pages allocated for stamps when you travel to various countries. Each stop=1 stamp. If you are travelling to a multiple stop spot you might even need 2 or 3 pages. So we suggest you to apply for 60 pages if you are a traveller.
Procedure for Obtaining Passport/Documents for Applying Passport in India
The first thing you have to do is make sure that you the above mentioned documents and also Birth Certificate.
How to Apply for Online Passport in India
- Go to www.passportindia.gov.in (read the guidelines properly).
- Now select Register as new user(or if you have already registered use those details).
- Make sure to choose your city or the closest one.
- Confirm your account. And login.
- Now choose the first link you see, apply for fresh passport/re-issue of passport.
- Download the form, extract and carefully fill in the details. Make sure to choose 36 or 60 pages predicting your future plans.
- Recheck(the details on your form will be printed on your passport) the form and upload it on the same page you can find a link stating, CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THE FILLED FORM.
- Click View Saved/Submitted Applications.
- Once you have confirmed all the details yet again. Click the button right next to it PAY AND SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT.
- Select online Payment and click next.
- You will now see a list of PSKs in your vicinity(to the city which you chose while registering) along with the date and time of the earliest appointment.
- Select one. Enter the character in the image and click on next.
- Click Pay and book Appointment.
- You will now see a screen where you are supposed to finish the payment and you will be directed to the website.
- Don’t relax yet. Click print Application Receipt. On the next page you will see a preview of the receipt click Print to take a printout. YOU CANNOT ENTER PSK WITHOUT THIS PRINTOUT.
- Now you are supposed to reach the PSK on time.(What if you can’t make it? Refer the queries section). Since they have removed the police verification you can expect your passport in a week or two. But still you can check the status of your passport here. You need to just type your case number(given by the PSK) and your date of birth.
1. What if I am unable to reach on schedule of my appointment at PSK?
Cancel your appointment.
2. How many times can I cancel/reschedule my appointment?
Two times within a year.
3. How to pay by Online banking?
Credit/Debit Card(MasterCard and Visa), Internet Banking(SBI and associate banks only), and SBI Bank Challan. For creating Challan click here.
4. Will I be charged at PSK?
Yes, the people who have opted for Tatkal will pay the extra amount in Cash once their forms are accepted.
5. How long will my payment be valid from the first appointment date?
6. Can I apply for refund?
7. What all should I carry while visiting an PSK?
ORIGINAL COPIES of all the documents mentioned above as well as their photocopies.
8. What if I was refused to give a token because I forgot a document?
They will be given an appointment slip with the time within the next three working days.