Xiaomi recently provided MIUI 8 updates to its smartphones with Android 6.0 Marshmallow for select smartphones. Xiaomi always provides system updates a little late but CyaongenMod developers are faster than Xiaomi and provides latest Android version custom ROMs for latest smartphones.
CyanogenMod 14.1, based on Android 7.1 Nougat is released by Cyanogen Inc, but it’s still in development mode, and the builds provided are nightly. Which means it may contain some bugs which might make your phone to dysfunction, so it’s recommended not to install this custom ROM if Redmi Note 3 is your primary smartphone.
Get your phone ready:
- Make sure that your phone is rooted and TWRP custom recovery installed on it. The latest version of (above v3.0) TWRP custom recovery is recommended to install the custom ROM properly.
- Do not try to install this custom ROM on other Xiaomi smartphones as it may damage your smartphone.
- While installing custom ROM, all of your smartphone memory will get wipes in the process. So, create a backup of all your contacts and messages on the cloud and move all other important files to your PC.
- Your phone should be charged to at least 70% battery and make sure to charge it using the wall charger, not with your PC. This will help your phone not to turn off during installation.
- Rooting and flashing custom ROM are unofficial activities which you are going to perform with your device. Once done, your phones warranty will be void, and your phone will not receive further official updates.
- While installing custom ROM, we are going to play with some highly sensitive settings of the smartphone so try to be on track and do not perform any actions not listed in this guide only if you don’t know much about flashing custom ROMs.
Files you need
Steps to flash CyanogenMod 14.1 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
- Transfer both the zip files to Redmi Note 3s internal memory, copy them to root directory not in SD card or inside any folder. You’ll find the files above these steps, download them from there.
- Turn off your smartphone and boot it to the recovery mode, use the volume up and power key combo for recovery mode.
- You’ll see lots of options in recovery mode, just use the one mention here and do not use any option you don’t know about.
- Tap Wipe, check all the checkboxes and Swipe to confirm.
- Come back to the main menu and tap Install and select the CyanogenMod 14.1 ROM file, swipe to confirm.
- Again tap Install and select the Google apps zip file this time and confirm to install.
- Once both files installed successfully, tap Reboot System button to reboot your smartphone.
Enjoy the new features of Android 7.1 Nougat with CyanogenMod 14.1 on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. If you find any difficulty installing the custom ROM on your phone then feel free to drop your queries in comments. And if you successfully installed the custom ROM then do share your experience with us.