Android 7.0 Nougat is here and Google already revealed the list of phones getting Android Nougat update and Nexus 4 is not on that list. There is no way that Nexus 4 users will get Android 7.0 Nougat but one of the developers made this possible and ported the AOSP 7.0 custom ROM for Nexus 4. Nexus 4 users can now install Android 7.0 Nougat on their smartphones.
AOSP 7.0 custom ROM is made from the released source code of Android 7.0 Nougat. It comes with all the basic features and options you can see on any other Nexus smartphones. This custom ROM is made so it can run on Nexus 4 without any problems. There are some bugs left in this custom ROM; the camera isn’t working while shooting videos. Most of the bugs had been cleared out and the camera will also go soon.
- Root your Nexus 4 and install a custom ROM on it (TWRP recovery recommended).
- Backup your important data from your Nexus 4 before installing custom ROM.
- Charge your phone to 70%.
Steps to update Nexus 4 to Android 7.0 Nougat
- Download AOSP 7.0 ROM, Google Apps, and SuperSU zip package from the link above and save them on your phone.
- Connect your Nexus 4 to your PC and transfer all three zip files to your root phone directory (do not copy it inside any folder).
- Disconnect your phone from PC and turn it off.
- Now turn on your Nexus 4 by holding volume up, volume down and power button together. When you see a screen with Start, press volume button till you see text change to Recovery mode and press Power key.
- In recovery mode, wipe and factory reset your phone using Wipe option (TWRP recovery).
- Install and select the AOSP ROM zip file to install.
- After installation completes, repeat the installation with rest two downloaded zip files.
When the installation completes, just tap on Reboot Now button. When your phone reboots, you will be presented with Google setup with force close errors but you can skip them and move to the custom ROM. Before moving any further, go to permission settings and grant location permission to Google Play Settings.
All the bugs are listed above in this article but if you still finding any difficulty in any part of the installation or want to know more this ROM then leave your question in comment section.