Xiaomi’s most awaited and biggest smartphone – Mi Max is here. Xiaomi released this phone with the latest version of MIUI OS, MIUI 8, based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow with some great features. The company has released the MIUI 8 beta version for all the Xiaomi smartphones so developers and fans can try it before the final release update.
MIUI 8 Features
One the best feature of MIUI is that it is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The previous MIUI 7 was based on Android 4.4 KitKat. Android 6.0 Marshmallow itself had so many features, but MIUI 8 adds another level of awesome features to it like multi-window support, apps cloning, new notification shade, new task switcher and, of course, new boot animation.
Before you begin installing the MIUI 8 on your Mi Max smartphone, let me tell you that MIUI 8 is still a beta ROM, which could contain bugs. So install it at your risk. All your data will get wiped out during the installation, so it’s better to backup the data first. Also, your phone should be charged to at least 70% battery while installing ROM.
Steps to install the MIUI 8 on Xiaomi smartphones:
Install Custom Recovery
- Download TWRP custom recovery zip package from here (download according to your device).
- Transfer that zip package to your phone’s internal memory.
- Open Updater app and tap on the three-dot menu button on top right corner.
- Tap on Choose Update Package and select the package you downloaded above.
- Tap on Update to begin the installation process.
Wait till the TWRP recovery gets installed on your device and reboots automatically.
Install MIUI 8 ROM
- Download the MIUI 8 Beta ROM from here (download the package according to your device).
- Transfer the package to the phone’s SD card.
- Open Updater app and click the three-dot menu key on top right corner.
- Tap on Reboot to Recovery, your phone will reboot into the TWRP recovery.
- When in recovery, tap on Wipe and confirm.
- Come back to the main menu and tap on Install.
- Select the ROM package from the SD card and confirm to install the package.
- After installation, tap on Reboot System Now to reboot your phone to MIUI 8.
Wait for some time till your phone boots up to the welcome screen. From here you can take over now and complete the setup process. In you have queries, we have a comment section below.